Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 2: Wandering

Day 2

Woke up early and caught the Metro to the Eiffel Tower. Having seen the Eiffel tower in more pictures and video than probably any other landmark in the world, I wasn't really expecting much. I was just planning on crossing it of my proverbial list. Upon first glance, I was anything BUT un-impressed. It's footprint is sizable, it's detail unfathomable. I cant imagine the level of genius that went in to engineering this feat well over a century ago.

Apparently I didn't wake up early enough. There were loads of people already at the park. Lines to the top were hundreds of people deep and I just didn't think it was worth it considering the wait and the already rising Paris heat. I strolled around the lawns for a while and thanks to a few clouds in the sky was able to get some pretty cool photos.



Made my way to the Musee d'Orsay. Along the way found some random Cathedrals and State Buildings whose construction would've otherwise blown my mind had I not been already desensitized by Parisian architecture. Luckily I did beat the crowd to the museum. I didn't wait in any lines and just walked right in. Again, this buildings size and detail astounded me. All the directory's signage was in French so I just strolled from one side of the floor to the other and made my way up through each level.

Although every piece was amazing, not only as artistic prowess but as historical relic, I was most impressed by three things; French Realism, Impressionism and Early Photography (1840's type stuff).

The Monet's were unreal. The Orsay does not go to great lengths to keep you separated from the art. No glass cases, nothing more than a thin wire slightly set back from the wall about knee height. I could stand less than 10 inches away from almost any piece I wanted, putting me in the same position as the artist was during the pieces creation. Even found the original Monet that my mom had a print of hanging in the downstairs bathroom of my childhood home. Awe-inspiring.

Next stop was the Cathedral de' Notre Dame. Having flashbacks of Mrs. Novinger's 8th grade English class, I could recall all of the details that she drilled into my head after countless hours of blabbing. It was great to see it in person. My plan was to take the elevator to the top to get a much needed view of Paris from some elevation. That plan was halted quickly as I encountered the longest line yet. We're talking 500 yards at least.

I continued to the Isle of St. Louis where Shabes told me I could find (in one of his many opinionated lessons) the best gelato in the world. He was not kidding. I probably ate more than 10 euros worth of ice gelato......SO good. Once I had finally given myself a stomach-ache, I left and headed down to the Latin Quarter.

This neighborhood was bustling with other obvious tourists. Most of the youth hostels are located here so I knew I would see more Americans. My point was proven as in only a few blocks in I had already spotted 2 Starbucks..... why anyone would drink Starbucks when the coffee is SO good at any hole in the wall cafe is beyond me. Slammhogs....

Went back to my hotel and showered a long hot day off. Had a nice glass of wine with my hotelier and then headed back toward the river. After some delicious Stella's and believe it or not even a Heineken (MUCH less skunky than the US brew) I made my way to the bridges where I could watch the sunset. To my surprise, I was not the only one with that idea. I was not prepared to see HUNDREDS of French locals sprawled out on the pedestrian bridge with full bags of food and drinks, picnic blankets and musical instruments. I bought some wine and a crepe and squeezed in mid-bridge and watched the crazy Eiffel Tower's light show. The English language was nowhere to be heard. Finally after a good buzz had kicked in, I decided it was time to interact. I was watching these African fellas in a drum circle for a while and after I had finished my bottles of wine I jumped in the mix and started clanking the bottles together in rhythm. They immediately welcomed me with huge smiles and we "jammed" together for a couple hours at least. So long, infact, that I had unknowingly stayed out long after the Metro's stopped running. I had to pay like 15euros for a cab ride back to my hotel. Worth every bit.



4 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm traveling Europe vicariously through you Ry. I have to say, my favorite part is hearing about how you interacted with the drum guys after bottles (bottleS?) of wine. SUCH a Reyes thing to do, no matter what continent.

Keep up the great blogs. Kiss a cute Paris man for me (but only after a few more bottles).

Lo-T said...

Fantastic. I'm already incredibly jealous. Ditto on Jackers' comment - drum circle jam is surprisingly easy to picture. Looking forward to checking out photos. Keep the blogs coming - I might just change my homepage.

Dan Parker-King said...

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/19-travelling/

Bloom Diva said...

RR - I LOVED reading this - thank you for sharing it! You're a wonderful writer - and obviously a great traveler. Cheers! C